"time keeps on tickin tickin"

Monday, August 11, 2008

There's something scary about church planting but altogether exciting.

Many church planters live and die by the term "model". All throughout my training and schooling it was driven home that you have to have a model from which to work off of. If I haven't already, than I must mention Dr. J.D. Payne. While he gave me a fair share of C's, he became a great friend and even greater mentor. I was taking one of his classes when something huge slammed me. The class was all about methods and models but he so strongly sent the message home to not be presumptuous.

For so long it has been commonplace to go somewhere with rigid, exhaustive play by plays. We advocate something a little different and then let the culture, the people, the barriers, norms, and idiosyncrasies impact and, to some degree, dictate how we do it. "all kinds of Churches for all kinds of people", and I add, "that are biblically faithful."


Now something we are not doing, and I stress the NOT, is place the method after the Biblical principles and mandates. If we meet in a coffee shop it won't be to meet in a coffee shop, it will be because we see the strategic aspect and unreached persons there. If we decide to meet on Sat or Sun night then it won't be to just do so, it will be grounded in study, prayer and reflection.


So what are our methods? Abby and I are renting an apartment on the South side of NDSU. We are situated around a lot of singles, young marrieds, college kids and lower income families. We are both working jobs, I at the Pita Pit, and Abby at Bath & Body Works and the YMCA. We are asking a lot of questions, listening long and hard to answers, and trying to uncover the way people think, act, socialize, etc...


Please pray for us in this model writing; we know this is going to be a challenge but a blessing. We know that what we uncover won't speak for every individual person and people group here. This will be one of many more methods while we seek to expand the kingdom of Christ by church planting in Fargo.


BTW: Tonight at work a black jack dealer at the local strip club came in and I got to chat with him and another dude named Tony who comes in all the time and is totally open to talking. Later on a group of teens/young adults who have taken a liking to me came in.
I am in awe of the people the Lord is bringing into our lives. Please pray for the friendships to grow.

0 comments: