"And I'm Out of My League Once Again"

Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Well, today marks a very special day for us. It is Abby's Birthday. My lovely bride turns a special 26 today, September 10th. I wanted to write a blog post on how wonderfully the Lord has been in shaping us, and in particular, how the Lord's glory shines so brightly through Abby.

The pictures you see are from our engagment pictures taken in Bowling Green, KY. Imagine Abby even more beautiful and imagine me even uglier (you know it is true).


As we all know, Abby and I uprooted ourselves from the South and went about as far North as you can go in the continental US. She willingly, and with much joy and excitement, left all the things she knew so well and moved to Fargo to plant a church that would reach out to those who do not know Christ.


To let you know a little about what she has been dealing with, she left a thriving career teaching elementary school students--she is now overseeing before and after school care at two local elementary schools and overseeing a staff of 10 or so. She just started to really enjoy seminary on campus and now she is back to the dreaded DVD's. We were a family of two, now we are a family of three (14 weeks along). She left one of the best churches we have ever been apart of to come and visit different churches while preparing to start the ones the Lord would have us start. She left a part of the country where she knew so many people, and could hang out with people almost every night, to a place where we are starting from square one.

Needless to say, she has sacrificed much to follow the burden the Lord has placed on our hearts. She and I talk often about how we are so conviced that we are in the center of the Lord's will, and that he would have us no other place. She has sacrificed so much, and all the while she has shown overflowing joy. She has never questioned that we are where we are supposed to be. Yeah, our jobs are fairly stressful right now, and we come home wanting to throw in the towel, but at the end of the day when we are lying in bed, we always end it thanking Christ for what he has done.


So on this (what should be) national holiday, go to Abby's blog and post a comment wishing her a happy birthday.


The missional aspect of everything I have just written is God's goodness in marriage. He is so good to show marriage in Genesis and in Ephesians (among others). He has fashioned us perfectly for one another. Often times, we are like sand paper to one another, but what he has created and joined together will never be broken. In our calling to be on mission, he has given us helpmates. For most of us it is a spouse that sacrifices much for us and us for them. For some, it is close friends and family that run this race with you. Take some time to go to those who shoulder the burden with you, go to your husband or wife, and tell them how much they mean to you, and how you see Christ in their lives.


Abby, how I see Christ in your life:


Your...

humility

evident joy in Christ

unique way of empathizing with people

gentleness

patience

submission

respect

putting my desires before your own

unfailing love

following me even when it doesn;t make sense

convicting me of my sin

showing me a better path to take

refining me to be gentle and kind with my words and actions

the beauty you show from the inside

caring touch

loving words



There is a favorite song that comes to mind when talking about Abby!

-----------------------------------------------


And many many more

It's her hair and her eyes today

that just simply take me away

and the feeling that I'm falling further in love

makes me shiver, but in a good way

All the times I have sat and stared

as she thoughtfully thumbs through her hair

as she purses her lips bats her eyes

and she plays with me sitting there, slack-jawed and nothing to say


[Chorus:]Cause I love her with all that I am

and my voice shakes along with my hands

Cause she's all that I see and she's all that I need

and I'm out of my league once again


It's a masterful melody

when she calls out my name to me

as the world spins around her, she laughs, rolls her eyes

and I feel like I'm falling but it's no surprise


[Chorus]Cause it's frightening to be swimming in this strange sea

but I'd rather be here than on land

yes she's all that I see and she's all that I need

and I'm out of my league once again"


-Stephen Speaks-


0 comments: