"why we do what we do"

Monday, November 24, 2008
We had an absolutely fabulous trip a couple weeks ago. We traveled from Fargo to Minneapolis to Nashville to Bowling Green to Nashville and back again. We got to see family and friends, speak at a meeting in Nashville, and then two churches in Bowling Green, as well as a conference. It was a great time and got to meet some fabulous people.

While we were in Nashville we got to work on a video that tells about us, what were doing, and how you can help. We were talking to the guy doing it, Jeff Henry, and he asked me how I would describe the direction we are going.


I said, "We want to study the culture so we can get to know people to share the Gospel in hopes of starting Churches.


Culture

People

Gospel

Church


I had someone this week ask me to explain better why we are doing the specific things we do. I am endeavoring to, at the end of every post, tell why we are doing the things I talk about, but I am sure it would help for me to just give a blanket here.


We love the people here in Fargo. We have never loved a place and the people in that place more. And I know this isn't a news flash, but we are here to plant a Church. I know, catch you're breath and move on, haha. We realize that loving a people and a place doesn't necessitate a new Church popping up. We have to be out there meeting more and more and more people. So what do we do to accomplish that end. Work at the Pita Pit, YMCA, go to the OB, B dub's, concerts, coffee shops, shows, donate plasma, workout at the Y, and among other things join different groups. Ya know it might look like we moved to Fargo just to live our lives up here the way we would have down there in Nashville. Well there is some truth to that, we do firmly believe that every Christian is called to a similar lifestyle that we are leading, but there is a difference, not every Christian is called to start Churches in Fargo.


But we are living out the life of a missionary here in Fargo, which in many ways is a real natural thing. Living day by day looking for oppurtunities to talk to people about who we are and what the Lord has done in our lives. So we are here living intentional lives in order to be apart of what Christ is doing here in Fargo and our prayer is to see Churches planted.

3 comments:

Kasey Lee said...

John, I firmly believe the Lord is going to do amazing things in Fargo. I pray for your ministry daily, that he will create a movement in the hearts of the people there, and that he will bring believers into your life who are able to lead and disciple other believers. I am encouraged by your and Abby's love for the people there and pray that he will use me in the same way here in bowling green or wherever he may lead me. Thanks for your example of obedience!

Kasey Gabhart

Andrea said...

I love the way you described what you're doing. Great explanation. Have you read Total Church yet? It's on our "to read" list. Sounds like you are doing what they're doing in that book.

Melanie and Josh said...

nicely put. great explanation for your rationale and plan. looking forward to seeing what the Lord does for the people of Fargo through your service.