What an orientation!!!

Monday, March 9, 2009
So I (Jeremy) am here in Fargo for the week and I must say it has been quite the orientation.

A group of college students from Western (John and I's alma mater) are here working with us this week, doing some discovery and scouting for us. I am also here looking for a place for Pam and I for our big move in May. It has been quite eventful thus far, here are some interesting highlights:

-I email Pastor Dude Garrett at Temple Baptist a few weeks ago about borrowing a car for the week. Here was his response:

I recently gave a minivan to a blind man in our church. He of course cannot drive, but wanted to have the car for his college daughter when she visits. However, the doors don't work properly. You must use the sliding door to enter the vehicle. When I gave it to him, he said he might have someone who fixes cars look at the door problem, but I don't know if he did. If you are interested in using it "as is" then I suspect it would be available.


My dad always told me that beggars can't be choosers so I accepted the offer and went to pick the van up on Friday. After an hour of digging it out (it was lodged in a couple feet of snow), jumping it (the battery was dead), and climbing in the sliding door I was on my way.

-Remember the door problem mentioned in the email, yeah that was no joke. At one point while driving to John and Abby's place I was talking on the phone, making a right turn, and reaching out to grab the swing driver door. It was quite invigorating.

-Keeping on the subject of the van, while driving home from the church the group is staying at, I was backed into by a cab, yet no visible damage was done to the van, further supporting my theory that the worse the car looks and functions the more indestructible it is.

-This morning we awoke to something North Dakotans are quite accustomed to, snow.



Needless to say we are really getting a great orientation to the Upper Northwest today and tomorrow. Here is what we have to look forward to tomorrow:

Tuesday, Mar 10
Day
High: 10°F RealFeel®: -14°F
Blizzard conditions with strong winds, low visibility and heavy snow, accumulating 6-10"; colder
Winds: N at 28mph
Wind Gusts: 56 mph
Amount of Precipitation: 0.25in
Amount of Snow: 6.6in
Hours of Precipitation: 12 Hrs
Night
Low: -5°F RealFeel®: -38°F
Very windy; mostly cloudy with snow tapering off, 1-3", blowing snow





















We are living it up, keep on praying for us, especially for the group to get back to KY on time.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the first time I have visited your site. Jeff Strickland gave your presentation at our last mission board meeting. Do you have an email that I can share with the other members of the mission board? We have an interest in pursuing the idea to partner with you. Just send the email to Jeff and have him forward it to me. -John Sands.