"there's more to life"

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

We have all heard the age old phrase "just be yourself" and yes there is tremendous truth to the statement, we don't need to change with the prevailing wind but "just be yourself" only goes to far. Think of the missionaries that go to foreign lands and have to do some sort of inculturation. Now you don't abandon who you are of course but you also don;t just blindly say, "just be yourself" you adapt, change some of your cultural defaults etc.

So why do I do this rant, well, I went on a little shopping excursion today. Abby and I have been going to some different places where there is high concentrations of people who do not know Christ. As we are hanging out in these places, I, don't act surprised, stick out like a sore thumb.
I know I know who would have thought that oxfords halfway unbuttoned would ever not be the rage, but as it turns out that has happened. So I pose this question to you, how are you trying to blend into the environment where Christ has placed you. Are you looking for things in you that might be hindrances to those you are ministering to. Now I have to say this isn't saying that you just dress to be cool etc. But it is saying if looking like a college professor could be difficult for the teens you are ministering to then maybe tone it down. If wearing jeans instead of khakis is smart, do it, t-shirt rather than polo, do it.

Thanks for listening to fashion tips by John

0 comments: