Carpe Diem: Seizing the day

Tuesday, September 30, 2008
One of the pastors at the church I am interning at posed a question to us today that really got me thinking. He asked us why God has called us to Franklin, TN?

I just got back from an awesome extended weekend in Fargo talking, walking, and surveying the city seeking what God wants us to do and be there. I am so excited about moving there and seeking to share the Gospel with the city and this weekend made me want to fast-forward eight months, but that question this morning reminded me of something. It reminded me that God has a lot of great stuff planned for Pam and I here in Franklin the next few months and if I spend the remainder of my time here counting the days before we leave I will be waisting time and opportunities to be a part of His mission in Franklin.

I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 7:18-24. Granted the passage is not necessarily talking about me working in Franklin, but the idea of embracing our situation really speaks to where I am at. Discontentment and seizing the moment have been common issues in my life over the last few years. Ever since I started seminary it seems I have been preparing for my next step. Whether it was moving to Nashville to marry Pam, or working at the church doing maintenance until something else popped up. It is hard for me to focus on where I am at when the next step is looming in front of me.

We are about 8 months from leaving for Fargo, but that is 8 months where I can grow more as a leader and church planter, influence the lives of people, grow in my marriage to my wonderful wife, grow stronger spiritually, and enjoy the fellowship of a great church.

The answer to pastor Eddie's question for me I believe is this: I am called to Franklin to learn more about church planting, grow in my relationship with Christ and others, influence the community of Franklin and the community of Ridgeview Community church, and to experience ministry along side my wife.

So my question to you who are reading this is why are you doing what you are doing? Why are you working the job you are working, living in the neighborhood that you are, interacting with the people you are? God has got you where you are for a purpose and you must ask yourself what that purpose is. For some you may have to ask yourself if you are using your circumstances for the promotion of the Gospel of Christ Jesus or for your own personal gain.

0 comments: