"Where Do I Go from Here"

Wednesday, October 22, 2008


Over the past week I have had the pleasure of visiting 3 other cities in North and South Dakota. Grand Forks, Sioux Falls, and Brookings. A question that a lot of people are asking me is "where should I go to learn about the culture where I am?" I can't point to an absolute answer, but I can give you a pointer. I am a city center guy, I love the downtown (these terms are interchageable), and often times that's a haven for art, commerce, education, government, religion. There are so many layers to unfold, so much culture to explore, and so many needs to discover. Poverty often times is concentrated in the city center, lower income housing, and sadly (but not necessarily related ) higher crime rates.

A way to get know your context is look for the watering hole, and while that can be a little sketchy, do it within reason. Often times, it is the locally owned restaurant or store that has been there forever, and can tell you all about the history of the city. Locally owned cafes, coffee shops, and bars and grilles give a great taste about the people. In all the towns that I visited, I went searching for the city center and when I found it, I went searching for the watering hole. It is different in every town, but there are similarities to look for (as mentioned above). So tonight, or whenever you read this, go to your city center, and do it as a date or personal mission. Take some time to take in the sites, sounds, smells, and experiences of the city center. Find the watering holes, visit a few of them see what they have to offer in the way of information and connection.

0 comments: