Thoughts on life...

Friday, January 2, 2009
It has been a crazy last several weeks for Pam and I. I have finished my semester in seminary, preached at my church, drove to Jacksonville, FL for Thanksgiving, flew to Ocala, FL for Pam's grandma's funeral, drove a total of 1500 miles during Christmas, and am now gearing up for two January classes. Needless to say, blogging has been put on the back burner for me.

But lots of things have been running through my head the last several months. One of the big things I have been thinking a lot about is making my life count. Several things have made me consider this over the last month or so. One major thing is the recent passing of my wife's grandma Ann.

We got a call from Pam's mom on December 4th that her grandma was being rushed to the hospital. After getting two free round trip tickets to Jacksonville from a man in our church (thanks Gerald) we flew to Orlando the next morning to be with the family. On that Saturday Grandma passed away very peacefully.

The 40 something hours we spent at the hospital and the week we spent with my in laws planning the funeral, though sad and full of mourning, were some of the most revealing and challenging days I have had.

I think death often makes us look back at our own lives and consider if we are living in such a way that we would be pleased if we were to go. Not that we had marked everything off our "bucket list," but that we had lived a life of influence.

I didn't know Pam's grandma as well as I wish I did. They lived in Ocala, FL so we only saw them a handful of times in the last couple years. But in the week we spent with her family I learned several things about her. 1) She loved her husband and he loved her too. It was so challenging for me to see the relationship, how much sacrifice and commitment they showed to one another. 2) She loved her family and they knew it. She never missed a birthday, anniversary, or significant event, even if you were technically no longer a part of the family. 3) She loved her faith. The pastor who did her service talked about how much her and Grandpa Lahey sacrificed in there commitment to the church and to helping people. They were founding members of his church plant there in Ocala and she taught Sunday school for children for years and year. 4) She was a light to a lot of people. Grandpa talked about the different places they went throughout their routine every week. Whether McDonald's, Boston Market, or the bank, everywhere they went they brought a little joy into the lives of the workers there, and each place looked forward to seeing the Laheys. 5) She didn't care about her popularity, wealth, or power. They lived a simple life, didn't have high profile jobs, didn't live in a mansion, or eat at pricey places. Those things weren't important to her. She knew what mattered, her faith and her family.

The reason I say this is that it would be easy for us to say that Grandma Lahey lived a simple, ordinary life, nothing extraordinary or revolutionary. The problem with that conclusion is that there are thousands of people that were dramatically influenced by Ann Lahey, whether directly or indirectly. She has 6 children and lots of grandchildren who are doing amazing things, partly because of the grandmother who showed them how to live a life of influence.

For the last few weeks I have thought a lot about my life and have asked the question, "what am I doing to be influential to those around me?" The very reason we are moving to Fargo is to make an influence and hopefully impact the community by starting churches. But what about my everyday comings and goings, am I making a difference? I guess I will keep asking the question because there is always more, alway opportunities.

Sorry this is so long, but it has been a couple months since I posted last. Next time I will try and make it shorter.

2 comments:

amy said...

I am super glad that you are a part of my family, J-Rob. Hope things are going well for you this week. I can tell that you are out of town b/c my sister keeps calling me :-)

Mary Ann Steltenkamp said...

My sister, Annie, just sent me this link. It is so nice to read what others in the family have to say about 'mom'. My mother was an amazing woman; filled with God's spirit and love like no other person I know. She did live a simple life and God blessed her with everything. She had an amazing, loving husband of 56 years, she had six healthy, happy, very loved children, and all her much loved grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The Bible says that the meek shall inherit the Earth and mom proved that to be true.

Losing mom has caused me so much sadness. I miss hearing her sweet southern voice and yes, I miss hearing her fuss at Grandpa to do this and do that. (smile)

I thank God everyday for allowing her to be with her husband and family and die a peaceful, grace-filled death. Her spirit is so strong that I am overwhelmed by her sometime. She is so present at unexpected times during the day.

For those of you who did not hear this story previously, I will share it with you now....

on December 6th, the day mom died, I was back in Winter Park with 15 young girls at my house for Anna's Christmas Party. Things were a bit hectic because they were working on arts and crafts, making homemade pizzas, and I was doing my best to make hot chocolate with no lumps for the girls.

During all of this, I was on the phone with Annie while she was at mom's side in the hospital. Annie was allowing me to talk to mom via her phone and was allowing me to listen in on what everyone was saying while mom listened from her hospital bed. I finally said to Annie, please tell mom that I need her here! I cannot take care of all these girls myself. At that moment I was filled with an incredible warmth and fullness in my chest and Annie said to me, "Mom must be with you because she is not here anymore." Mom had died at that moment when I was filled with the Holy Spirit and His peace.

I was overwhelmed with His love. When I miss mom, like I do right this minute, I just close my eyes and remember that moment of His total peace and love filling my heart and soul and I know that mom is in His arms and is also at peace.

Thank you for listening and thank you for loving my mom.

Mary Ann Lahey Steltenkamp
March 16th, 2009