Continually Convicted:Thoughts on the Last Things and Beyond...

Wednesday, March 28, 2007
I just finished preaching to a group of great students, who have a great youth minister, ministry-oriented church etc... I preached on what is one of my top five most taught and studied passages in the Bible,I Corinthians 15. I love this chapter in the Bible because it is one that brings me the most hope for both today and forever. It makes me excited to be a Christian, and causes me to love Christ even more.

I firmly believe that because of our view of the body and eternity, it is no wonder that abuse our bodies, please ourselves sexually, avoid suffering for the sake of Christ, and don't even share our faith... It is no wonder. Verse 32 says, "If the dead are not raised, "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”" That verse explains perfectly, that if we do not believe in the resurrection of the dead, then we should consume all that is because the sinful pleasure of Earth is all the exists for us (not all pleasure is sinful). Let's commit all fornication, let us commit all drunkenness, let us commit all debauchery. Seriously, it blows my mind to think of the inconsistency of many who don't believe in this and still lead moral lives. That is craziness, you are selling yourself short if this time on Earth is all that exists for us...

But think, oh think of the pleasures of God, of the glories of God. Oh Lord, we will have a body that can experience pleasure for eternity. Oh God, we will take pleasure in you for eternity, oh yes Lord... We will rule, we will work, we will be in relationships, we will feast, we will joy in all things. And yes God, we should pursue pleasure, joy, IN you. Wow, God I can experience sexuality in its fullness in You. Yes Lord, thank you that you saw fit for marriage, that sexual expression is something beautiful there. Lord, I can pleasure with food in you, thank you God for taste and feasting. Lord, I can take pleasure from the joys of this Earth IN you. Lord, thank you for the pain you allow, and the suffering that you allow in you. Thank you that we can persevere and glory in you throughout it all. Yes Lord, thank you Lord, that you allow me joy and pleasure now, and an even fuller Joy in eternity. Thank you God, thank you.

2 comments:

Trey Kullman said...

Wow dude. Sounds like you had a great weekend in BG. I can't wait to hear all about it. Thanks for the encouraging words on I Corinthians. Hope all is going well in Nashvegas.

Anonymous said...

You better keep up with this thing when you go to Lousville.